BIWPA’s men’s under 18 team is off to the USA to compete in the KAP 7 International Tournament, in Southern California.
One of the most prestigious water polo tournaments in the USA, the KAP 7 International Tournament, will welcome for the first time a team from Spain. The event is aimed at teams from 10U to 18U and will be hosted by Irvine Water Polo Club (Kahuna). On its 9th edition, it will be held from February 10th to the 11th.
Barcelona International Water Polo Academy will travel to the USA with a team formed both by players from the Academy and other players from several Catalan and Spanish clubs, as well as some international teams. BIWPA’s presence in the USA has been usual during the previous years, but it will be the first time that BIWPA takes part with a team in a water polo event based in the USA.
The Academy has attended the Junior Olympics three times to share information about the water polo program in Barcelona, Spain. Last summer 2017 was the first time BIWPA organized an on-site activity in the USA, which consisted of two clinics in two different locations: Cathedral Catholic High School and Helix Charter High School, both in California.
Apart from the two days that the KAP 7 Tournament will last, the BIWPA team have several activities scheduled. They will have morning practices at Long Beach State University, whereas in the afternoon they will take part in scrimmages with four different clubs: Vanguard Aquatics, Socal Water Polo, SET Water Polo and Long Beach Shore Aquatics. The BIWPA Academy team, which will be coached by Quim Colet, Yuri Colet, Ferran Pascual and Dani Gómez, will spend nine days in the United States, from February 4th to the 12th.
In parallel to the KAP 7 International Tournament, the team based in Barcelona, Spain, will have the chance to experience other kind of activities outside of the water polo sphere. Since they will be in California, they will also have the chance to visit the awesome Universal Studios and attend an NBA game at the Staples Center between LA Lakers and Oklahoma.
Below is a list of the players and coaches that are part of the expedition:
- Eric Domínguez, CN Molins de Rei and BIWPA Academy
- Jordi Gascón, CN Catalunya and BIWPA Academy
- Víctor Andrade, CN Molins de Rei and BIWPA Academy
- Álvaro Alcaide, CN Montjuic and BIWPA Academy
- Eugeni Sales, CN Poble Nou and BIWPA Academy
- Miquel Navarro, CN Sant Feliu and BIWPA Academy
- Miquel Martín, CN Rubí BIWPA. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Vouliagmeni tournament
- Miguel A. Suárez, CW Marbella. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Novaky tournament
- Frederic Vaquer, Campusesport. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Novaky tournament
- Joel Galindo, CN Ciudad de Alcorcón. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Turbo Cup
- Aarón García, CN Jerez. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Turbo Cup
- Yoshi Saito, North Harbour WP. He was part of the BIWPA team that participated in the Turbo Cup
- Biel Segura, CN Terrassa
- Pol Prat, CN Molins de Rei
Technical Staff BIWPA:
- Quim Colet
- Ferran Pascual
- Yuri Colet
- Dani Gómez (CN Rubí)